Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Founding Fathers on Special Interests

That we have strayed far from the intetion of our government is a belief, if not universally acknowledged, is widely held.  Our current government wishes to impose taxes and onerous legislation on the majority in order to feed the minority, or special interest groups. 

What did our founding fathers think of this type of practice you might ask.  Never fear, my 639 page book Founding America Documents from the Revolution to the Bill of Rights has the answer.

The leaders of Pennsylvania in December of 1776 wrote "A Declaration of the Rights of the Inhabitants of the Common Wealth, or State of Pennsylvania."  Article V of that declaration answers the question on special interest groups and doing things such as bankrupting the nation to accomodate 0.4% of the population such as the uninsured.

That government is, or ought to be, instituted for the common benefit, protection and security of the people, nation or community; and not for the particular emolument or advantage of any single man, family or set of men, who are a part only of that community.

Sounds to me like nothing that only benefits 0.4% of the population should be forced upon the other 99.6% of the population.

No comments:

Post a Comment