Thursday, January 7, 2010

Fearing for my Nation

On the campaign trail Michele Obama said that for the first time in her life, she was proud of her country.  Well Shelly, for the first time in my life I am afraid for my country.  Though in the past I have worried over the direction we were headed and concerned over actions that were taken, I am now truly afraid of what is going to happen, not just in, but to my country.

In the past I could always console myself with the belief that we could vote the bums out of office, but that no longer grants me solace.  I find no peace in that belief when the politicians will tell people what they want to hear during the campaign, vote against the people to advance their own agenda, and then retire before facing the wrath of the people during the next voting process.  When the politicians waste money that we don't have on things we don't need in order to advance their own purposes.  When those who are supposed to represent the people put the advancement of their own power over the advancement of the people they represent or the nation as a whole.  When the shiny new candidate to represent you is nothing but a whitewashed version of the politician you're desperate to remove.  When politicians laugh when asked about the constitutionality of their legislation; something that should not be funny to anybody.  When politicians interpret The Constitution to support their legislation instead of writing their legislation to support The Constitution.

How can I take comfort in a right to vote when the vast majority of those who run to replace the current bums are naught but bums themselves?

My America is being fundamentally transformed around me and what can I do to stop it when my voice -- the one tool I have and what was supposed to be the final check of government -- falls on deaf ears?

As I research the founding of this great nation I find so many similarities between what drove the colonists to revolution and what our government is doing to us now and I fear that soon the only option we will have open to us is a new revolution.  I am afraid of what will happen to this nation in either case.

Now the only solace I find is that God has a plan that I don't yet understand and that His plan will save us.  I pray for this every day.

Is it any wonder that for the first time in my life I am truly, deeply and legitimately afraid for the fate of my nation?

2 comments:

  1. Cheer up, Karen. November is around the corner, we all see the writing on the wall as to the political future of this abominable bunch, and a lot of this garbage can and will be rolled back. God willing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to believe that Fredd, but every time we kick out one bum a worse one takes their place. That's what has me so afraid. That we don't have any real choice in representation.

    ReplyDelete