Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Power of a Beautiful View























I found Scotland one of the most hauntingly beautiful places I've ever visited, and yet, I can't help but wonder if it is as beautiful to those who see it every day.
















Where I live there is beautify everywhere. I'm in a low mountain range, on a plateau, but there are rolling hills covered in trees. The scenery can be absolutely breathtaking, especially in the spring and fall. But I rarely even see it anymore. I tend to become a bit oblivious to my surroundings. I once had a small Christmas tree on my desk until April because I just didn't see it anymore.
















While I was wondering around Scotland I kept imagining what it would be like to see that view every day, how nice that would be. But then began to wonder if the natives took their scenery as much for granted as I take my own. I hope they don't.













There is a lot of talk about how we become desensitized to violence and ugliness because we see so much of it, but does the same thing happen with beauty? Do we need to see beauty elsewhere in order to see that which surrounds us every day? I did.

















When talking about my trip to a co-worker (you just really can't shut me up about it) she mentioned a favorite quote of hers. As a dedicated traveller this meant a lot to her, and I see it's truth so I'm sharing it with you. The saying goes, and I'm doing this from memory so I may get it wrong, "Life is a book, and if you don't travel, you only see one page." We should all flip the page now and then.

















I've included the views I found the most peaceful and soothing. The views that had the most profound effect on me. The views that will stay with me forever. The pictures that cannot do justice to the beauty I experienced but that I continue to view over and over again. I hope you enjoy them. And if you get the chance, I hope you experience them for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment