Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Janeane Garofalo - A Study in Stupidity

I had told myself that I wasn't going to post about this. But I just can't seem to shake my disbelief at the levels of stupidity of this actress and comedienne whose work I once enjoyed and admired. But her statements regarding the tea party protesters (and I am one) was sheer stupidity. Her stance that we are all a bunch of rednecks objecting to a black man in the white house left me resembling the slack jawed yokel she thought me when my chin hit my chest in shock and dismay. Of course the protest couldn't have anything to do with the trillions in debt we are in as the result of irresponsible spending on both sides of the political isle. It couldn't have anything to do with the government bailing out companies who have mismanaged their assets and should fail as a result of their bad management. It couldn't have anything to do with our government officials, most of which don't know their ass from their elbow, thinking that they have the right to fire the CEOs of private companies. It can't have anything to do with printing more money when there are no assets to back it up. Nope. All of those things were just a smoke screen for out bigotry and racism according to Ms Garofalo. The funny thing is that her assumption of the reason behind the protests was way more racist that the actual reason. Her first assumption was that it was due to the color of our president's skin. A very racist stance. For a comedienne she doesn't appear to have much of a sense of humor when it comes to people with different political views from her own.

Making a judgement based on assumption, and stating it as fact is stupid. She made no attempt to find out from the actual protesters what their stance was. Instead she stated her opinion based on her own prejudices and even went so far as to state that there was no other way to see it. That is the essence of stupidity. So to Janeane Garofalo, a big thank you for illustrating to the world what stupidity looks and sounds like.

No comments:

Post a Comment